WORMS IN DIRT WORMS IN DIRT EVERYBODY WANTS SOME WORMS IN DIRT!
I’m so excited about this post. Not just because of the recipe, but also because of these awesome photographs! I feel like I’ve had a major food photography breakthrough with these babies. They look beautiful!
Anyway, I love worms in dirt. Like seriously, they make my soul happy. The gummy worms mixed with the pudding, “cream cheese” and chocolate cream cookies… yum.
And the chocolate jello instant packs are gluten and dairy-free! Who knew? Well I sure didn’t. But that makes this even better.
I started this recipe trying to come up with a yummy dairyless pudding from scratch, but when I discovered the whole jello thing, I just thought to go for it. Because chocolate jello pudding makes me nostalgic anyway, I mean, that is the signature worms in dirt ingredient!
I’m sure worms in dirt is nothing new to you (yes, you there!), but I’m also sure that everyone has a great memory of when they had this tasty and kid-centered dessert.
For me, it was at Disney’s Epcot park, at that restaurant that spins. I think it’s called the Garden Grill. I can’t really eat there anymore because it’s family-style food, meaning they bring everything out in big bowls for everyone to share, (although Disney does an amazing job for people with allergies, blog post on that is definitely to come!) but I remember how every time my family and I would eat there, the dessert was always the same for me and my sis, Hannah. We always got the worms in dirt. Every.single.time. I loved it so much that when I first stopped eating dairy, I was so sad and instantly thought of the worms in dirt at the Garden Grill. Mhmmm… so good.
Needless to say, this recipe is great for kids and adults too! It’s a way to get the whole family involved and provides a funny yet tasty sweet treat for everyone to enjoy. Vivian loved it too! She practically lived off these suckers all of Thanksgiving week when her family was eating pies and cakes that she couldn’t have. I think she ate 7 out of the 8 cups that I made.
So I hope you enjoy the worms in dirt as much as I do! What are some of your most nostalgic recipes? Let me know in the comments below!
- 2 boxes chocolate Jello
- 4 cups milk (I used soy)
- 2 packets Back to Nature Creme Cookies
- 1 bag gummy worms
- 1 8-ounce container vegan cream cheese
- 8 16-ounce clear cups (or 16 8-ounce cups)
- 2 gallon sized ziploc bags
- In a large bowl, mix the two packets of jello together, slowly adding the milk.
- Pour the cookies into the ziploc bags, one packet in each, and crush them up using a rolling pin or just your hands (my little sister and her friends loved helping me with this!)
- When the jello is completely mixed together, add the cream cheese and stir.
- Then add one of the ziploc bags filled with cookies and mix it all together.
- Using an ice cream scooper (or just a spoon), put three large scoops of the pudding mixture in each plastic cup.
- Stick four gummy worms in each cup, making them look like they are coming out of the dirt.
- Pour the second bag of cookies on top.