Happy Monday Peeps!
I’m warning you now, this week will be filled with desserts, sweets, and deliciousness posts. I just happened to find myself with some really yummy and successful dessert recipes in the same week… so you’re getting a week of sugaaaa! But isn’t that what’s most hard for someone with an allergy anyway?
I mean, I’m not complaining. Are you?
And to start off the week of sweets I give you vegan pecan turtles that will knock your socks off. My mom’s absolute favorite dessert are turtles. Whenever we are at an ice cream shop she always goes for the pecan turtles.
I was totally inspired after reading about all of the veganized candies, including turtles, on one of my favorite food blog’s Fork & Beans.
So I thought I’d create my own in honor of my ahhmazing mama!
- 1 pack Enjoy Life chocolate chips (about 2½ cups)
- ¼ cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans
- pinch of salt
- Melt the chocolate chips over low heat, and then use a spoon to create 16 small circles on parchment paper.
- Place in the freezer while you cook the caramel.
- In a small pot, melt the butter. Add the corn syrup, brown sugar, and salt and mix on low heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, let boil for 1 minute, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, bring the mixture back to a full boil on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. The caramel should thicken as it cools.
- Remove the chocolate from the freezer.
- When the caramel is no longer hot, but still slightly warm, put spoonfuls of the caramel onto 8 of the chocolate circles.
- Place the pecans on top of the caramel, so that they look like "turtles".
- Place the other 8 chocolate circles on top of the caramel pecan ones.
- Stick in freezer for 10 more minutes and then serve.