Am I on a health kick or something this week? Two spinach posts in a row. Whattt?
Anyway. I have a serious bone to pick with all you meat eaters. No one told me what I was missing with BACON! You tried to keep the delicious smell and amazing taste from me while I sauntered through the (almost equally yummy. almost.) vegetable world, and didn’t even bother to tell me how bacon literally can make life complete.
Shame on you.
A little backstory on me: I was a vegetarian for about 7 years, and a vegan for 1.
I feel my best when I’m eating lots of fruits and veggies, but when I stopped eating dairy, I felt like I was hungry all the time and trying to make myself full by eating a ton of bread, pastas, and gluten that made me feel full, but also made me extremely weak.
I have always listened to my body when I comes to eating, and I knew that it was time to bring some meat protein back.
I started reading about the blood type diet (I’m an A) and I love it and find that it fits to my personality and eating habits almost perfectly.
So I try to follow that path as best I can, but there are always little bumps (or rewards) in the road, and this one is in the form of bacon.
Holy moly, bacon is like a slice of heaven on a plate. It’s literally the best thing I’ve eaten in a long time.
This meal was the one that changed my bacon-free ways, and I know now that I can never go back. I try to eat clean and only eat meat every once in a while, but bacon is definitely at the top of my “once-in-a-while” list.
And this salad combines all of my favorite things: veggies (spinach), fruit (strawberries), and bacon dressing. Me oh my. I also think it’s the perfect salad as we enter spring. It’s so simple, easy-to-make, and delicious.
Yummy, yum, yum. Let’s bring home the bacon.
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 package of bacon (10 pieces)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, chop up the bacon and fry until crispy. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Pour bacon grease into a small pot.
- Add onion and sautee.
- When the onion is clear, add the sugar, apple cider vinegar, and dijon mustard.
- Heat the mixture on low heat, whisk while heating.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the crumbled bacon.
- Chop up the strawberries and add them to the spinach in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour the dressing on top, toss, and serve warm.
P.S. Strawberries and bacon together? #winning