I don’t know what possessed me to put blueberries in this hash, but it was the best decision I’ve ever made. It’s like the combo of the crunchy sweet potato and then the pop of the juice blueberries, hello.
I know blueberries are almost out of style for the season, but grab those last few boxes and get kickin’.
It’s like fresh summer meets fall and creates the perfect moment of bliss and perfection in a breakfast hash. It’s like you stumble into the kitchen with your glasses on and messy top bun, and you somehow end up being a genius morning chef who makes cool breakfast combos. And the maple bacon?
Baking the bacon with the maple syrup makes the bacon almost caramelize/candy the maple syrup into it, and there’s this crunch and chew that can’t be topped. I think the maple bacon makes the segway from sweet potato to blueberry.
It’s like a sweet potato, blueberry, maple bacon concoction. And I luv it.
So I went to the food & wine festival this past weekend with frands and fam and got to share my first drink with my biffle of life for our 21st birthdayz.
It was such a special moment for us to share together and we had a blast. Puerto Rico wins for me on the food side of things, with Hawaii winning the drink.
Pineapple wine, people. Is that such a rookie drink? Whatevs.
I think it’s so important to have people around you that really love you and support you (and you do the same for them!), so anytime I get to enjoy being with these people, it just puts me on cloud nine, level ten of happiness, with a giant smile aching my face off.
And um, hello, scarfing this hash up made me extra happy as well. I spent the afternoon sitting with my mom talking and enjoying the sweet potato/blueberry/maple bacon triumph as we laughed and smiled and oohed and ahhed.
I think this breakfast hash bash is equally as awesome as the wonderful people I get to love. Too sappy? It’s just my food coma talking, my belly of love and happiness and perfection.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½-inch cubes
- 6 slices of bacon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2 cups loosely packed kale
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4-5 tablespoons water
- 3 fried eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh thyme, for topping
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, sauté the onions in the olive oil for 3 minutes. Then add the sweet potatoes and cook until fork tender and crisp on the outside, anywhere from 15-25 minutes, depending on how tender you like your sweet potatoes (or how black crispy you like the outsides).
- While the sweet potatoes are sautéing, dredge the bacon in the maple syrup and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake the bacon at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender, add the kale and a few tablespoons of water. Cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- When the bacon is cooled, crumble and throw into the hash. Add the blueberries and eggs and mix everything together. Top with thyme and serve warm.